TOP OF THE POPS – “Various” – Volume 8 (Hallmark CHM 660) November 1969
This is our eighth “Top of the Pops” Album bringing together, as usual, twelve hits of the day onto one LP, a presentation virtually impossible for the original (single) versions.
We get letters asking how it can happen that these Hallmark recordings can be as good as – and, indeed at times better than – their counterparts on the charts. Well, let us tell you for sure that it ain’t easy!
If there is a secret it has many parts – the care and attention paid to every bar of every number prior to sessions; the choice of vocalists and musicians; their skill and application at the fall of the baton; the use of the best studios and engineers; and the endless trouble taken in the Mixing Room where up to eight separate tracks are blended into a Stereo Master.
And this is how you come to enjoy endless hours of pleasure for as long as you like.
- Wonderful World, Beautiful People (Jimmy Cliff)
- Suspicious Minds (Elvis Presley)
- Sugar Sugar (The Archies)
- Return Of Django (The Upsetters)
- Love’s Been Good To Me (Frank Sinatra)
- Something (The Beatles)
- Yester-Me, Yester-You, Yesterday (Stevie Wonder)
- Oh Well (Fleetwood Mac)
- (Call Me) Number One (The Tremeloes)
- The Onion Song (Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell)
- The Liquidator (The Harry J All Stars)
- What Does It Take (Junior Walker & the All Stars)
charity shop purchase @ £2