TOP OF THE POPS – “Volume 23” (Hallmark SHM 785) April 1972
A great year was 1972! It was the year when I gave my life-long devotion to Leeds United. Coincidentally, this “Top Of The Pops” collection of remakes was released just a month before that glorious F.A. Cup Final win versus Arsenal at Wembley. The old and historic Wembley before it was flattened and rebuilt. “Clarke . . . . one – nil . . . “
Back to the album. There are some very good performances on this. I don’t dislike anything here to be honest with you. Even the soul numbers are a triumph, not that I know much about soul music. The remake of “Back off Boogaloo” is a success, it expertly retains that glam rock thud and echo of the original Ringo Starr hit.
My choice though is “Hold Your Head Up” – a smart run through of the recent Argent single. I can’t remember ever hearing the original.
People, it is said, can become cynical, blasé, bored, even resentful, with constant success.
Our last Top of the Pops album (SHM 780) again hit the top spot in Britain’s L.P. Chart – our fifth No. 1 in the past twelve months! And we’re as thrilled with this as we were with our first success a year ago.
None of this success is possible without the help of all you Pop enthusiasts; and that’s why – because you are discriminating and want value for money – we go to enormous effort to select the best hits, the best vocalists, the best musicians for our public.
We are now Britain’s front runners with “Top of the Pops” and, with your magnificent help, we aim to stay in front for a long, long time. So we present this, our 23rd edition. We hope you like it!
- Beg, Steal Or Borrow Originally a hit for The New Seekers
- Hold Your Head Up Originally a hit for Argent
- Sacramento Originally a hit for Middle Of The Road
- Without You Originally a hit for Nilsson
- What Is Life Originally a hit for Olivia Newton-John
- Sweet Talking Guy Originally a hit for The Chiffons
- Alone Again (Naturally) Originally a hit for Gilbert O’Sullivan
- Floy Joy Originally a hit for The Supremes
- Meet Me On The Corner Originally a hit for Lindisfarne
- It’s One Of Those Nights Originally a hit for The Partridge Family
- Back Off Boogaloo Originally a hit for Ringo Starr
- Too Beautiful To Last Originally a hit for Engelbert Humperdinck
charity shop purchase @ £2